film friday: warm bodies

WARM BODIES
Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 6.22.47 PM

Ah, Warm Bodies. How much do I adore this film? I knew very little about it but randomly picked this movie at the theater and boy was I surprised when I found myself grinning from ear to ear and totally smitten. At first glance, the story is a simple tale of star-crossed lovers and yet I think it's so much more than that. It is witty and filled with wry humor and it also offers a satirical look at modern society without taking itself too seriously.

Nicholas Hoult, who plays a zombie named R, is so perfect for his role that I can't see anyone else playing this character. His R is sarcastic, self-deprecating, and very likeable despite being "dead" on the outside. You will laugh at his inner monologue and feel for him as he struggles to make sense of his existence. The object of R's affection, Julie (played by Teresa Palmer), is also a heroine you'd want to root for. She's strong, independent, and is not afraid to speak her mind. And despite R's limited ability to talk, their chemistry is still believable and very endearing.

What really captured my heart in this film is the soundtrack. It was like someone made a mixtape for me that I never knew I needed, a combination of iconic songs from the 80's and some of my current favorite artists including Bruce Springsteen, Feist, Bon Iver, and The National. I actually felt a collective sigh inside the theater when R played this song from his vinyl collection. It's such a familiar and beloved song from my childhood that I can't help but feel warm and happy inside.  

Indiewire has a list of all the songs and you can listen to them here.

Has any of you seen Warm Bodies? If so, what do you think of this movie?

(Film stills via Summit Entertainment)

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't planning on watching this one, but you've changed my mind Odessa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camila, I hope you can check it out. :)

      Delete