after boston

65360020

At the flower shop, I was immediately drawn to a bunch of peonies and said, "Oh how beautiful!" Then I saw the price tag of $16 and my face fell. I spent the next couple of minutes looking at other kinds of flowers but I kept glancing longingly at the peonies.

Some time later, the shopkeeper came up to me excitedly. "It's yours! He just paid for them," she said while pointing to the guy at the counter. I was so overwhelmed all I could say was thank you over and over again.

"My pleasure," he smiled. "You seem to love them so much it will be a shame to let you walk out of here without them."

And so it was on a Friday afternoon, April 19th, an hour after I heard the news that the second suspect was already captured in Boston, that I was nearly brought to tears by the kindness of a stranger. It had been such a difficult week but in that moment I was reminded that yes, there is still beauty and goodness in this world.

Here is a photo of the peonies.
Photo above was taken by me, on a ferry ride to Oakland.

10 comments:

  1. yes, let's keep in mind
    that there is more goodness
    and beauty than there is
    sadness, cruelty and crime
    kindness of a strange
    such a loving act

    take care!
    love
    from the Netherlands

    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a second I thought this is a story from a movie... :o) so happy it's true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JiJi, thanks. Glad you came by and dropped a note.

      Delete
  4. Oh, WOW, I'm so overwhelmed by this story that now I want to go out and do random acts of kindness for strangers. Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camila, I feel the same. I want to pass it forward and do little acts of kindness too.

      Delete
  5. i'm glad you were given this gift. and such a stunning photo, odessa.

    ReplyDelete