cinematic moments

io e tu

1116565-Io-e-Te-Bernardo-Bertolucci-Tea-Falco-Jacopo-Antinori-foto-di-Severine-Brigeot1

The San Francisco International Film Festival is playing right now and I've been really lucky this year because all the films that I've chosen were very good so far. In fact, I was so moved by this one film that I saw this afternoon that I want to talk about it right away.

Me and You is the latest movie by the iconic director Bernardo Bertulocci (Last Tango in Paris, The Dreamers) and perhaps his most quiet and simple one. It tells us about 14 year-old Lorenzo who is very detached from the outside world and spends his time visiting pet shops and listening to his mp3 player. He lied to his mother about going to a class ski trip and spends a week at the basement of their apartment building instead. Lorenzo's carefully planned solitary time was interrupted when his troubled half-sister Olivia suddenly turned up, and with nowhere else to go they were forced to share the cramped basement and tolerate each other's presence.

I'm always drawn to films about introverted and broken people who finds a shared connection in the most unexpected places, so this movie is definitely right up my alley. There is a scene towards the end of the film when Lorenzo and Olivia were slow dancing to David Bowie's Italian version of Space Oddity "Ragazzo solo, Ragazza sola" that moved me so much that I was even tearing up just thinking about it after the movie. The acting was pitch perfect and the song made it even more so.

"Tell me lonely boy where are you going to/ Why so much pain?", reads the English translation to the song's lyrics.  I think this pretty much sums up why that moment was so poignant for me. That these half-siblings who are essentially strangers saw each other's pain in a very honest way. And that by the end of the film, I felt like I've shared their inner struggles and recognized some my own, too.

Here is the film trailer. I really hope that it will be shown in movie theaters soon.

Film stills via sceglilfilm.it

0 comments:

Post a Comment