the reading list

Reading is a very personal and solitary experience for me but I do love talking about books. I'm currently on a Young Adult fiction reading spree, partly because I'm trying to write something for this age range, but mostly because my work life is so demanding that reading YA is like a breath of fresh air at the end of an exhausting day.

Luckily, I have friends who feel the same way so we can have endless discussions about books that we love and send random text messages to each other, which makes it even more fun. You know, like when you're standing in line at the post office and all of a sudden you get a message that says, "I'm listening to this song by Sun Rai and I immediately thought of Eleanor and Park", and you smile like the dork that you are because you know exactly what she meant. Yep, we definitely get attached to fictional characters.

About a month ago, I participated in Hila's book challenge to read more books written by women. Here are some on my to-read list:
  • Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
  • Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende
  • Villette by Charlotte Brontë
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  • Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Scheidt
  • The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell
  • The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

I would love to know what's in your reading list, too.
Or add me as a friend on Goodreads so we can be book buddies!

10 comments:

  1. Hi beautiful Odessa :)
    Oh books writen by women???? But that's all I read ;-) with just a few exceptions to Rilke, Pessoa and Olivier Adam most of the time.
    Thank you for writing your list, I just remembered that I wanted to read "The Year of Magical thinking" so much but that I had forgotten the name of the book and the author's name. I remember now because there was a theater play here with that same title and I remember that that was the one I wanted to read (just added it to my longgggg list)!

    I have just bought 5 books all from french authors except one by Siri Hustvedt - All that I loved
    - Olivier Adam - Le coeur régulier (the regular heart)
    - Henry Bauchau - Déluge (The deluge, the flood)
    - Fanny saintenoy - Juste Avant (just before)
    - Gaëlle Josse - Les Heures silencieuses (the silent hours)

    and as you can see there's another man on the list, I haven't yet read one of his books, I will give it a try ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sofia!

      It's great to hear from you. Thank you so much for sharing your list. I'd have to look for an English translation of these books.

      And I'm glad I triggered your memory about 'The Year of Magical Thinking.' I'm excited to read it, too. :)

      Delete
  2. I love how I can always find amazing book indications here Odessa.
    Thanks for being so amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww..thanks, Camila. You are amazing too. xx

      Delete
  3. That's a mighty good list, Odessa :)
    Thanks again for joining my little reading group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Hila! I missed you. I hope you had a great trip.

      Delete
  4. Oh that is a very good list, definitely adding them to my to read list. I actually am late with a review for a book I read for the club :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, same here. I need to write one soon.

      Delete
  5. I read Tell the Wolves I'm Home really recently and loved it - I think you will too. It's a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it and I'm a sobbing mess.

      Delete