first light

Untitled

Saturday. Woke up at 5:30 and drove up to the headlands to watch the sunrise. It was very foggy but I can tell that the sun was trying to peek through. Other early risers were already there inside their cars, mostly photographers with fancy equipment, just sitting and waiting. This one guy was staring at me, I imagined him thinking, Who is this crazy girl getting out in the cold and taking pictures with her cellphone when you can hardly see anything outside? True. Being a night owl for years now, I definitely felt out of sorts, as though I was sleepwalking in the mist.

It was too cold for me to stay up there so I drove back down to the other side of the bay and had the lovely Sausalito mostly to myself. Sitting alone by the deck and watching the young sky change its colors was surreal. For awhile, it was just me, the water, and the birds. It was early enough that I even ran into the garbage collector and we chatted for a bit, about the weather, how his Italian boss couldn't believe how "fancified" a cup of coffee is these days, how he wants to spend his day off at the beach. I took more pictures, squinted at the morning light, and pointed my toes. The way the light fell on the wooden floorboards reminded me of ballet and other things I love.

Untitled

Untitled

4 comments: