august first

pescadero

Can you believe it's August already? This was going to be the summer that I will work on writing my manuscript but all I can show for myself right now is an epilogue and a notebook filled with notes and random dialogues. I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself because this is my summer break after all but oh dear, we go back to work in less than 2 weeks! Sigh. I do try to write everyday but I also want to be outdoors which is often not good for me because there are too many distractions and before I know it I'm already pulling out my phone and taking pictures.

Yesterday I was in Santa Cruz, writing inside a coffee shop when a group of young girls, probably 13-15 year olds, came in and sat at the table right next to me. I didn't even notice them at first but their voices got louder and pretty soon I was already eavesdropping. It turned out that there was this really cute boy outside and one of the girls was discretely trying to take his picture with her iPhone by having her friends pose when really her camera was actually zoomed in to the boy.  

"Why don't we go over there and sit on the bench next to them," said one of them. "But that's too obvious!" chimed in another. I had to smile. This scene could easily have been me and my friends 15 years ago, minus the iPhones. Soon the girls left and a group of teenage boys came in. Again, I couldn't help but overhear their conversation. They talked about beach volleyball, improving their game, and exercising. Then someone suggested that they grab some tacos so off they went to the Mexican restaurant next door.

Ah, to be young and carefree. Sometimes I just want to be a hippie and live in a beach town like Santa Cruz. How about you, how is summer treating you so far?

0 comments:

Post a Comment