one last poem for richard

by Sandra Cisneros

December 24th and we’re through again.
This time for good I know because I didn’t
throw you out — and anyway we waved.

No shoes. No angry doors.
We folded clothes and went
our separate ways.

You left behind that flannel shirt
of yours I liked but remembered to take
your toothbrush. Where are you tonight?

Richard, it’s Christmas Eve again
and old ghosts come back home.
I’m sitting by the Christmas tree
wondering where did we go wrong.

Okay, we didn’t work, and all
memories to tell you the truth aren’t good.
But sometimes there were good times.
Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep
beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars
like ours. There ought to be awards
and plenty of champagne for the survivors.

After all the years of degradations,
the several holidays of failure,
there should be something
to commemorate the pain.

Someday we’ll forget that great Brazil disaster.
Till then, Richard, I wish you well.
I wish you love affairs and plenty of hot water,
and women kinder than I treated you.
I forget the reason, but I loved you once,
remember?

Maybe in this season, drunk
and sentimental, I’m willing to admit
a part of me, crazed and kamikaze,
ripe for anarchy, loves still.

---

Tonight, I'm reading some poems aloud.
I really, really love this one.
The last six lines is perfection.

6 comments:

  1. I really love this poem. Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good posting of latest i love you sms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, especially the last 4 lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Odessa... I could have written this one

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem is so sad. I think almost everyone has had one of those on again, off again relationships. I always hate thinking of the way mine panned out so many years ago. It was a mess.

    That being said, have you checked out the "If" app? I'm slightly obsessed and it made me think of you when I downloaded it. It's a poetry app that also has people read some of the poems to you. I can play them in my car that way! I've been working on memorizing shorter poems, and I found "When you are old and full of sleep" by Yeats and memorized that one this week and it was so much easier because I could say it along with someone while I was driving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for your kind words on my blog!!
    i really appreciate the support and kindness!
    i hope you have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete