the girl who reads

anna karina

It's our second week back to school and I'm mostly exhausted at the end of a work day. I have the cutest kids but man, they are so full of energy it's hard to keep up. I haven't had the chance to pick up a book since school started and it's making me antsy. One night I was so tired so I pulled out my planner and started copying poems. Then I read them aloud until I fell asleep. It's amazing how the written word and poetry calm me, keep me grounded.

Today I woke up and found out about this Ultimate Literary Calendar from Flavorwire and just like that, my day is so much brighter. Bless you, lovely person who made this calendar.

Here's some of my favorite entries:

March 5. Charlotte Bronte writes to Reverend Henry Nussey to his offer of marriage, claiming to be too "romantic and eccentric" to be a clergyman's wife, 1839

April 1. Jane Austen responds with scorn to a letter from the Prince Regent suggesting she write historic romance, writing "I could not write down a serious romance other than any other motive than to save my life," 1816

June 12. Anne Frank gets a diary for her birthday, 1942

October 26. Seventeen-year old Hans Christian Andersen enrolls in a second form classroom with a bunch of 11-year-olds, which might shed some light on his future misfit-heavy stories, 1922

You can see the rest of the calendar here.

Image above: Anna Karina from "Une femme est une femme", one of my favorite French New Wave films by Godard.

2 comments:

  1. I was born on the same day as Vladimir Nabokov. Excuse me while I flail around the house in glee/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia, that's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete