one afternoon i met a magical cat

R1-08344-003A

The cat looked at me and my disposable camera and turned her head away as soon as I clicked the shutter. Afterwards, when I had already put my camera away, she came up to me and we stayed there, in the middle of someone's courtyard, surrounded by wild roses and all that golden light.

I need to remind myself of these moments, especially on days like today when I'm running on 4 hours of sleep and feeling so exhausted that I have no time for anything else when I get home from work. I need to remind myself, after reading this series and feeling sick to my stomach that we live in such a world where people can be so cruel and heartless. I need to remind myself that there is still beauty, goodness, and moments of simple joy.

Today is Mary Oliver's birthday. The Poetry Foundation shared this poem in her honor.

"I am thinking/ that language / is not a river / is not a tree is not a green field / is not even a black ant traveling / briskly modestly / from day to day from one / golden page to another."
-- Mary Oliver, excerpt from Forty Years

10 comments:

  1. I love meeting random cats in the streets!!
    I just got back from a holiday in France and i've met so many there :)
    I always take some time for a cuddle and a hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, mi joya! thanks for dropping by and leaving a note.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an event from a Murakami novel/short story.

    Those stories are heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, ha, I forgot about the cats in Murakami's novels. He does love cats! :)

      Delete
  3. what a sweet sweet moment!!!
    and you captured that very well with this photo! i love it!
    the light, the roses and the white beauty!!! ahhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aron, thank you. It was very sweet indeed.

      Delete
  4. Love moments like that.
    And sometimes thinks that it's ours past grands and friends visit us like that...
    You know, just to say hi or just to ckeck how we're doing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masha, hello! And yes, I do believe these cats can sense those moments when we need them the most. :)

      Delete
  5. I just read about Inga and that series you linked. I know what you mean about needing reminders about the beauty in the world. The bleakness and cruelty seems overwhelming sometimes. I don't understand cruelty at a gut level - I understand it perhaps on an intellectual level, but not on an emotional or instinctual level. So yes, let's turn back to Mary Oliver's words and their kind humanity - I'd rather ponder on that today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hila, tell me about it. Sometimes I feel like shutting down the rest of the outside "noise" and bury my nose in a book of poems instead. Sigh. Especially on a day like today, as I'm sure you've heard of the US government shutdown already.

      Delete