heima

IMG_3923

Heima means "home" or "at home" in Icelandic.

I've been thinking a lot about home lately. In my mind, it exists in two places at the same time, the country and the culture where I grew up that I'll always carry with me, and the spaces I've created for myself that makes me feel most at home. Often, these spaces have something to do with the ocean and being out in nature, or spending time with people who share my passion for movies and books.

A couple of days ago, I drove to the East Bay to attend a gathering of writers and readers. I was stuck in traffic and arrived 30 minutes late and when I entered the bookstore, I was surprised that it was an intimate event of less than 20 people. Everyone was already engaged in a discussion with the panel of authors and if it had been anywhere else, I probably would have turned around and said forget it, especially since I didn't know anyone there. But for some reason, being around people who love books was enough to make me feel welcomed, so I stayed and introduced myself.

I ended up meeting one of my favorite YA authors who also happened to love Melina Marchetta and before you know it, we were both gushing about On the Jellicoe Road and Jonah Griggs. I had such a great time that afterwards I just walked around seemingly in a daze, skimming book spines inside the shop. They had closed early for the event and it felt like a gift to be there.

This weekend, my friends from D.C. came to visit and we drove north to Point Reyes. It's been a year since my last trip and as soon as we got there, I immediately felt my entire being relax. This place always feels like coming home to me, with its unspoiled beauty and sprawling landscapes. We walked along the shore for awhile, took some pictures, and battled with the wind. When we came back near the entrance, we saw a family setting up a picnic. They had a barbeque grill, a picnic basket, tons of cozy blankets, and colorful kites. Despite the cold, I had the feeling that those kids will remember that day for the rest of their lives.

I'm listening to Sigur Rós (and dreaming of Iceland) while I'm typing this, hence the title. Have a listen to this song. I think it's one of the most beautiful and moving pieces I've ever heard.

IMG_3908

IMG_3924

IMG_3941

IMG_3936

IMG_3934

All photos taken by me. See previous posts about Point Reyes here.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the beautiful words, Miss O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wonderful when we get to meet others with whom we have a common passion...it brings back a sense of belonging, especially for us living abroad! Love, my dear friend, Sofia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofia, yes...definitely makes you feel like you belong.

      Delete