october thoughts

little beach corner

Our little beach corner, taken during one of the warmest weekends in October. We hiked from the Presidio to the ocean and spent an afternoon here, all the way until sundown. Afterwards, we climbed up a lot of stairs to reach a vista point so we can see the entire bay, walking along a group of guys who happened to play one of my favorite songs on a portable music player. I squinted at the setting sun, then closed my eyes, letting the familiar lyrics wash over me: "It's been a long time, long time now, since I've seen you smile." (listen here)

Last week, I was put through an emotional wringer when I saw the news that our island in the Philippines had a massive 7.2 magnitude earthquake. I had a hard time contacting my family because the phone lines were dead and it's always like this, your mind goes through all the worst case scenario first, you feel a deep panic inside your chest, then you try to console yourself the only way you know how. I finally heard from my brother and felt such gratitude when he confirmed that everyone I know is safe and well. That night, I couldn't fall asleep so I picked up a book of poems, snatching words and phrases to fill my dreams.

And you, how are you? I hope autumn (or spring) is treating you well.

3 comments:

  1. I will admit I am a bit envious that you live so close to the ocean. That view alone can energize you for months on end.

    I'm also glad your family is alright. There's been a lot of earthquakes back home as well and I know that strange feeling. It's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, yes, I am very blessed to live close to the water. It's actually comforting, in a way, because the Philippines is just right across the Pacific.

      I hope all is well with you and your family. It does suck to live so far away from home when things like this happen.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your family is safe. I cant imagine how stressful that is.

    ReplyDelete