a little space

"And we are put on earth a little space, / That we may learn to bear the beams of love"
-- William Blake

I've only just begun to understand the true meaning of these words. These days, it feels like my heart is about to burst at the seams. I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of kindness and generosity for my typhoon-ravaged homeland. People from all over the world, who rushed to our aid, helping in whatever way they could. I've never felt this much emotion, this much gratitude.

Then I see images of devastation and shattered lives, and I'm plunged into a deep and aching sadness again. I want to cry. I want to yell in frustration at the inefficiency of some government officials. I want so badly to go home and distribute the relief goods myself. I want to hug each child, tell every survivor that he/she is not alone.

Indeed, this must be how it is, to bear the beams of love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment