natsukashii (懐かしい)

R1-02727-018A

natsukashii (adj., Japanese) / Pronunciation: nahtzkah-SHEE
A small, ordinary thing that suddenly brings a fond memory flooding back to you. There is no direct English word for it, although it is often translated as "dear", "cherished", or "beloved".

----

Last month, I had to say goodbye to my little sanctuary by the sea. A beloved coffee shop had closed forever, and as I was sitting there on it's last day, trying to be calm and accepting, I saw the paper cranes I gave them, neatly lined up along the windowsill, and I couldn't help but feel so very sad about it all. So many memories, gorgeous sunsets, and lovely people I met through the years. Sunny afternoons spent reading, writing letters, gazing out towards the sea.

I wrote these lines, from a poem by Tomas Tranströmer, over and over again:

Suddenly it turned dark as in downpour.
I stood in a room that held every moment -
a butterfly museum. 

4 comments:

  1. oh man, I love that bit of poem

    and how beautiful - to have had such a place at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I should just be grateful to have had such a place for 8 years. But letting go of places we love is always hard. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking of the concept of natsukashii yesterday in the bus back home.

    It's always hard to let go of places we hold so dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, when I was learning Japanese, I always tried to find a way to use natsukashii in our conversations. :)

      Delete